Saturday, July 4, 2009

‘America Runs on Dunkin’

Today I stood outside Dr. Emily’s abortion clinic, the biggest and busiest clinic in the Bronx, with Julie. For hours we stood on the gum spotted sidewalk, with a chain link fence keeping us ‘dangerous pro-lifers’ from the women driving in for their abortions. This was not the first time I have stood outside of an abortion clinic, I have also back home in Florida near my college campus. However, this is the first time I stood outside not only praying but observing and trying to learn the art of sidewalk counseling. Julie is flawless in her efforts, much like a young lady back in Tampa named Cari. Both are attentive and compassionate people. I watched Julie walk towards every couple, group of friends, and lonesome women walking towards the clinic with the same fervent look upon her face, she knows this back alley is a battleground and this facility has us often outnumbered. Even when women left the clinic with their souvenir sucker (Dum Dum lollipops) after their abortions Julie had the boldness to lovingly approach them. Never allowing herself to become visibly discouraged, she kept on counseling her heart out until just before the so-called doctors left for the day.

It rained today over the clinic at several different times throughout the day…
Twins were aborted today. Black babies, Hispanic babies, White babies, Indian babies…. All aborted today. This slaughter house holds no prejudice; money is still green no matter the color of the hand it’s coming from. The cha-ching sound is universal.

Julie road her bike to a Dunkin Donuts, myself riding the subway. At first the DD sign blended in with the other neon signs that were obnoxiously on in the day-time. Then I saw the safe, comfortable, delicious sign; it made me want an iced coffee, after all I was parched from standing outside the clinic in the sun. Just as I grasped the door handle I heard my name called from behind me. I let go of the door and turned around. It was Julie; she’d gotten stuck behind some slow pokes on the bike ride over. She told me if I was going in to go ahead and get whatever and she’d wait (or some equal dialogue was exchanged). I went into to grab the usual medium iced French vanilla coffee with cream and sugar, when I saw that their small was 20 cents more than a medium in Tampa! I was outraged, and thirsty, more thirsty than outraged. I caved and bought the coffee. As the guy was making my coffee I overheard the cashier girl talking with a man on my side of the counter, they seemed to be friends. He asked her why she wasn’t smiling and why she looked so sad. She looked around and sighed before she said nearly below her breath, I have an appointment. They guy paused then continued questioning her, abortion? Yes, the girl replied. With a pause, sigh, and jokingly light-hearted voice he remarked come on that’s killing the baby. At this moment I was unzipping my purse and pulling out the last English pamphlet I had left over from standing outside Dr. Emily’s. While I was extending the folded papers to her I spoke, we can help you, we can help you financially and in every way. I asked her to read the paper and think about it. I then offered to give her my phone number; she said the paper was enough. I said okay, and asked her again to read the paper and to think about it. She said okay, I said thank you, and then proceeded to walk out of DD. When I told Julie what happened she was more excited than I was. However, later on I realized the importance of this event, not only for the girl in DD, but also myself. I am not going to speculate on the outcome of the girl’s decision or her child’s fate, however, I can pray that God uses that pamphlet to soften her heart and make her aware of the help we can and will offer her. Now, like I said, this event was also for my benefit. Let me explain. I was feeling very small, insignificant, and ineffective. But the Lord gave me an opportunity to be bold (however small the boldness might have been). By being aware of my surroundings and receptive to His will I shared potentially life saving information by a simple extension of the hand, accompanied by a reassuring smile and a sincere plea to read the information. I pray God takes it from there and His child is brought into the world. I may never know, but it’s not about that, it is about knowing that I obeyed God by taking that opportunity He presented.

No comments: