Monday, October 3, 2011

New York City


There were so many wonderful experiences as I spent a week in New York. Seven days that I hope to remember for ever. The first full day I was there I went to one of the EMC centers in the Bronx. There I met Liz who counseled three girls in the time I was there. All of these three young ladies had a different story and they all wanted to terminate their pregnancy. Liz's main objective is to let women know what an abortion is and the consequences of it. I had the privilege of sitting in while she talked to them and showed them videos that showed abortion procedures and explained the many consequences of it. I had this same experience when I visited another one of the EMC centers in Queens. This day, we had many more clients -about seven when I was there. Again, young women with different stories and with the same objective. Here I also got to sit in as Greg and Jowell talked to them. I have a lot of respect for these two young men; they listen, talk, support and give hope to women that are in a desperate situation. While I was at the EMC centers I did intakes, which allowed me to talk to the young ladies coming in and I learned a little more about their life and current circumstances. I was very sad to see that all of these women were young, hispanic and Catholic. What a tragedy. Every time I asked what their religion was and as they answered "Catholic" my heart would break.

Later I understood, more than ever, that women do not turn to abortion because they want to, but because they see it as their only way out and secondly, because they just do not know what an abortion is. They don't know that abortion has many physical, mental and spiritual consequences. Young women are led to believe that abortion because is legal, is a normal procedure, that there is nothing wrong with it and that their problems will be quickly resolved thanks to having it. This is a lie. A lie that pregnancy centers work to unmask. This is why most women walk out of pregnancy centers with a changed heart. What side walk and pregnancy center counselors do is speak the truth about the evil of abortion and encourage women to choose light, to choose life even if it's the harder choice. So often the right thing is the hardest thing to do. But is also the only choice that brings peace and joy. If people knew what an abortion really is, very few would remain pro-choice.

I felt God's presence the entire time I was there. He knew the desires of my heart and he took me on an adventure where I enjoyed every single minute of it. He granted my desire to go see Andrea Bocelli live in Central Park, but not only that, he added Celine Dion and Tony Bennett to the list! There was nothing like sitting in Central Park, listening live to Andrea Bocelli and Celine Dion as they sang "The Prayer" on a lovely chili evening in New York City. Also, what are the chances of me running into a Mexican parade in New York City? I mean, there a lot of spanish-speaking people in NYC but very few Mexicans. Before I ran into the parade I had only met one Mexican person during my trip. And just like that, out of no where, I was surrounded by hundreds of "mis paisanos" with Mexican flags and shouting "Viva Mexico!". It was great. Later that evening turned into one of the best days thanks to the company of Marnee and Manolo. God really spoiled us that day with good chai tea, great weather, great view, free coffee, free kayaking, free tango lessons and a BBQ gathering with Manolo's friends from Berlin.

My time there ended with a lovely night where Chris took us out to dinner in Little Italy. Most of the team was there. The people there are truly amazing, there was an immediate connection I felt as if I had known them for a very long time. Again that night, God spoiled me with Italian food at an Italian restaurant with good wine and good friends. A perfect way to end my trip in this lovely city.

I hope this is the first of many visits to this city.

I want to thank Chris and the whole team in NYC that fight every day to end abortion. My prayers will always be with you.

No comments: