Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The caller

Today in the queens office,when I received a call from a lady saying " i need an abortion" so I asked her if she lived in queens she said yes then asked " when was the first day of her last period" she answered with " I don't know but i  know that am 22weeks can you please help me" I answer "yes I want to help you,can you come in right now?" she seem so happy over the phone she answer " thank you I'll be on my way am close to the office" as soon as I hang up the phone I text a few co workers to pray for me as I was going to have a girl very far in her pregnancy wanting a abortion. About 20 Min's. Had passed when she walked in the office. I asked her to fill out the intake form. We pass to the main consulting room, I'll never forget her first words to me " thank you for helping me I just passed $258.79 for a sonogram and found out am 22 weeks and 2 days" I asked her if they had showed her how the baby looked like and I'd they had told her what the sex of the baby" her response was shocking " no they said that it to soon that part is not yet develop,they didn't show me anything" I asked "how much are they charging you" she answered " $1,700 plus tax that a lot of money I don't have and while I was there I saw an ad. on the newspaper that said free abortion alternative and now am here" I asked "what was the reason for wanting a abortion, and if she knew all side affect" she looked at me with watery eyes hold them back " you wouldn't understand" I moved closer to her I looked at her straight in the eye " well make me understand I want to know".she paused looked at the ground " i have nobody here, i just came into this country about a year ago.Am here because i have to help my mom and brother back in Paraguay. that why i cant have this because it going to stop all the plans i have for my future. i looked at her smile and said " having a baby isn't going to stop your plans they might delay them but not stop them". she smile but with tears in them i shake her head. i saw that for the first time she thought it was a baby and not a thing. i asked her if she wanted a sonogram she shake her head nervously. i told her the sonogram was going to be free she had a look that what she was hearing was impossible, i took her by the hand and went to the sonogram room, the sonogram tech. put the screen towards her and said" this is your baby boy and listen to his heart " tears starting coming down but with a smile i look at her and ask her why was she crying and her answer was just surprising " i always wanted my first child to be a boy" and smile looked at me " it my baby i cant believe it ! it a real baby, my baby" i smile at her and said " yes this is your baby boy "    

No comments: