Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Handful

You get some strange responses from people when you pray outside of the Planned Parenthood clinic on 149th St. Many people don't know that there is a Planned Parenthood in building 349, and when they find out they say some funny things. Let me tell you about the strangest response that I heard during my spring break in the Bronx.
A man walked by me as I was holding a sign proclaiming, "Pray to end abortion." He stopped talking to his friends, and asked in a loud voice, "Do they do abortions there?"

"Yes, this is a Planned Parenthood." I began. I was about to tell him that they perform abortions four days a week, and that this is a federally funded organization. I thought his response would be similar to other people who find out about the abortions being performed in their neighborhood. Many of those people respond in utter horror.

He didn't wait for me to continue. He immediately turned to his friend, chuckled, and said, "That means they have condoms in there!" And he walked spryly into the building to obtain some.

I was dumbfounded, and shocked. I didn't know what to say, even if he had given me a chance to say anything. Thinking of my Lord, I just quietly prayed for the man and for his friends.

That was the first time I was exposed to the culture of sexual perversion in such an intimate way. This culture is obsessed with sex, and it constantly tries to cheat sex of any consequences. That is an absurd thing to attempt, and it will never work.

The man came out a few minutes later with a handful of his valuable condoms (which, by the way, are extremely cheap - Planned Parenthood only provides the cheapest and they often fail). He said in an aside as he walked by, "Protection is the best way."

I disagree. Chastity is the best way.

No comments: