Saturday, August 8, 2015

An abundance of life

I’m constantly reminded how little time I have left in NYC, despite feeling like I just arrived. I have been extremely blessed with this opportunity to work on the frontlines of the pro-life mission. When I head back to Wisconsin, I will probably not be spending much time sidewalk counseling: my town doesn’t even have one abortion clinic. So how will I continue the pro-life mission? There are a million answers, of course: prayer, fundraising, changing hearts by opening discussions, involving myself in the pro-life club. But the one that sticks out to me most is through my career path. I am working to become a physician. I haven’t yet decided which kind, but whatever type I become, my work will help to give life, and to give more abundance to each life that already exists. Christ said, “I have come so that they may have life, and have it more abundantly.” We are all called to share in that mission somehow. I got to witness a powerful example of this on Thursday. I was blessed to have the opportunity to shadow a private practice OB/GYN in Brooklyn, Dr. Mark. From circumcision to yeast infection, I got to see a lot. He has a procedure room as well as a sonogram room right in his clinic. But more importantly, I got to see one example of a physician striving to give a better life to those he works with. There are some differences in the decisions we’d make regarding services offered, but it was none the less a powerful opportunity. Furthermore, it was a potent reminder of what my prolife mission may look like for the rest of my life. Please keep praying for us, we need it!

God Bless,
Jennifer

No comments: