Sunday, May 17, 2009

New Experiences

This was my first week working for EMC. I could not believe the sheer number of desperate women that walk through our clinic doors each day. The first woman I had the privilege of counseling was a 19 year old woman named "Rachel". She came in for a pregnancy test which turned out positive. I then sat down with her and another intern to talk things out. During the conversation she began sobbing and weeping. My heart was torn open as I tried to comfort her through her distress.

Rachel is still in high school and currently living with her Aunt and Uncle. She has no other place to go and no other support after an argument with her family. She could not face the thought of bringing a child into the world under these conditions. She felt her only real option would be to abort. My job was to convince her otherwise.

I explained to her that the life inside her was a precious gift. The concerns she had were all material, and I ensured that we would work with her to find solutions through jobs and living accommodations. These obstacles were temporary and material. The life inside her womb was not replaceable. It is a gift that should be treasured. I told her that she could overcome these obstacles. She had strength within her that she didn't know she had. The Lord would work through her and provide for the child.

I could see the fear, the hurt, the pain, the wounds, and the confusion in her eyes. But I could also see the honesty, the yearning, and the love shining through too.

Rachel still lacked confidence when she left the office that day, but agreed to come in the following morning for a sonogram. I was lucky to be able to watch the sonogram with her, as Rachel's baby boy danced inside the womb. She was almost 4 months along. I watched Rachel laugh and smile as she watched her child. She insisted it was a girl, not a boy.

After the sonogram Rachel was still considering abortion. She did not want to bring a child into the world to suffer. She did not want her baby to face the struggles she had faced. I assured her once more that a difficult life was better than no life at all and that the greatest gift she could give to her child was the love she already had within her heart. No house, or toys, or big backyard would make up for that.

We then set up a meeting for Rachel to meet with the Sisters of Life. I did not know what she was going to decide. She wanted more than anything to be able to keep her baby, but she was afraid.

The following day while praying and counseling outside of Dr. Emily's I received a text message that Rachel had been into the clinic again and had decided to keep the child. She was no longer crying, but laughing. I've never been so excited and happy in my life.

It was amazing to witness the miracles that the Lord is working through EMC. I felt so blessed, so thankful, to be able to serve as the hands and feet of Jesus. May the Holy Spirit continue to work through me and all the other EMC interns. Praise be to God!

No comments: